Sunday, April 20, 2014

Side Note à propos the Blog's Title

          I have chosen this title since it influenced me after reading Man is the Measure by Reuben Abel. It is one of those books that I place under my pillow when I sleep at night. We were suggested to read it in High School’s class: Theory of Knowledge (TOK) IB program. I have fallen for this book ever since, it is highly recommended. The quote by Spinoza is written in italic on the third page cover before the preface. How I see it is that truth is a norm of itself and its counterargument. Taking things further, it would basically mean that there is no absolute truth or truth with a big T. There are many little truths with small t's. There would always be space for dialogue and constructive argument. The full quote says: “Sane sicut lux se ipsam et tenebras manifestat, sic veritas norman sui et falsi est.” According to a forum, its translation is: “Indeed, just as light defines itself and darkness, so truth sets the standard for itself and falsity.” I find this to be a really cool analogy for what we accept as certainty and relative. A scale could be used as a convention or a frame of reference, so that we wouldn't lose sight of our surroundings. 

          Well apart from this, I have began this blog to share some of my reflections, questioning, anecdotes and things that intrigue me. This could expand from different areas of knowledge. Some of the content might seem strange or self evident, but we are here to have some fun while sharing ideas. So sit back and enjoy the ride. Any suggestions, tips, questions, or advice on how to keep up with this blog, would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment